Meyka Pro banner
Law and Government

DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Kills 2,325, Becomes Deadliest in Country’s History

August 18, 2026
02:11 AM
4 min read

Key Points

2,325 deaths in DR Congo as of August 17, surpassing previous record.

Bundibugyo strain reached 2,000 deaths in under three months, compared to five months for 2014-16 West Africa outbreak.

No approved vaccine or treatment available, though two candidates are in human trials.

Case fatality ratio rose from 20% in June to 46%, meaning nearly one in two confirmed cases is fatal.

Be the first to rate this article

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people as of August 17, surpassing the country’s deadliest previous outbreak from 2018-20. With 4,945 confirmed cases and 101 new infections detected in the prior 24 hours, the Bundibugyo strain is spreading faster than any recorded Ebola crisis. The UN warns the epidemic kills one person every 30 minutes, and experts say the outbreak is on track to become the second-deadliest in global history.

Record death toll in three months

The DRC’s public health institute confirmed 2,325 deaths as of August 17, exceeding the 2,299 deaths from the 2018-20 outbreak. The current crisis reached 2,000 deaths in less than three months after being declared on May 15. By contrast, the 2014-16 West African outbreak took nearly five months to reach 1,000 deaths. The outbreak is now the 17th in DRC history and the fastest-growing on record.

No approved vaccine or treatment available

The Bundibugyo species of Ebola causing this outbreak has no approved vaccines or treatments, though clinical trials of two candidate vaccines began last month in Ituri province. The case fatality ratio has risen from 20 percent in early June to 46 percent, meaning nearly one in two confirmed cases is now fatal. Experts say this reflects late detection and weak access to care, not increased virus lethality. Thomas Parisch, a public health specialist with Doctors Without Borders, said many cases are detected too late for treatment to succeed.

Spread across six provinces with regional spillover

The outbreak has spread to six of DRC’s 26 provinces, mainly along the north-eastern border. More than 3,400 cases have been recorded in Ituri province, where the outbreak began. As of August 12, Uganda reported 20 confirmed cases, while Germany and France each recorded one case. Weak health infrastructure, ongoing regional conflict, and community resistance have hindered containment efforts. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher warned the outbreak is the fastest-growing on record and called for speed, scale, and solidarity in the response.

On track to eclipse West Africa’s 2014-16 crisis

The World Health Organization says the current outbreak is on track to surpass the 2014-16 West African epidemic, which killed 11,325 people across Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. At its current pace, DRC’s outbreak is already the second-deadliest in global Ebola history. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus noted the outbreak is moving faster than any previous crisis and said two vaccines developed specifically for Bundibugyo are now in human trials. About 1,000 people have recovered, with 730 still in healthcare or isolation.

Final Thoughts

The DRC Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in the country’s history and the fastest-growing on record. With no approved vaccine or treatment and the case fatality ratio at 46 percent, the crisis poses a severe regional and global health risk. International support and rapid vaccine deployment are critical to preventing further escalation.

FAQs

Why is the DRC Ebola outbreak spreading so fast?

Weak health infrastructure, ongoing regional conflict, late case detection, and community resistance hinder containment. The Bundibugyo strain has no approved vaccine or treatment, allowing unchecked transmission.

How many people have died from Ebola in DR Congo?

As of August 17, 2,325 people have died from Ebola in DR Congo, surpassing the 2,299 deaths from the 2018-20 outbreak and making it the deadliest in the country’s history.

Is there a vaccine for the Bundibugyo Ebola strain?

No approved vaccine exists for Bundibugyo. Two candidate vaccines developed specifically for this strain are in human trials, with clinical trials beginning last month in Ituri province.

How many confirmed cases are there in DR Congo?

As of August 17, there are 4,945 confirmed cases, including 101 detected in the previous 24 hours. The case fatality ratio has risen to 46 percent.

Disclaimer:

The content shared by Meyka AI PTY LTD is solely for research and informational purposes.  Meyka is not a financial advisory service, and the information provided should not be considered investment or trading advice.

About Author

Author

Danny Kontos

Co Founder

Danny Kontos has been a stock investor since 2007 and co-founded Meyka in 2023. He keeps a small, focused portfolio and only moves when the numbers are hard to argue with. He has waited years on a single position before. Before Meyka, he ran a web hosting company and a mortgage lending platform, so he knows what a well-run business actually looks like under the hood. This article did not come from a news cycle. It came from someone who has been watching this space for a long time.

What brings you to Meyka?

Pick what interests you most and we will get you started.

I'm here to read news

Find more articles like this one

I'm here to research stocks

Ask Meyka Analyst about any stock

I'm here to track my Portfolio

Get daily updates and alerts (coming March 2026)