Meyka Pro banner
Law and Government

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman as Iran Deal Expires August 18

August 18, 2026
04:21 AM
3 min read

Key Points

Trump threatened military action against US ally Oman over Strait of Hormuz negotiations.

60-day US-Iran ceasefire expired August 18 with no extension or new deal.

Waterway normally handles 20 percent of global oil and gas trade, blocked since February.

Oman mediating separately with Iran while US pursues its own diplomatic track.

Be the first to rate this article

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman on August 18 if the US ally interferes with his administration’s efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The threat came as a 60-day memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran expired without extension. The waterway has been largely closed for six months since the US and Israel attacked Iran in February, blocking roughly 20 percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas trade.

What Trump said about Oman

In a Fox News interview on Monday, Trump said: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them.” Hours later in the Oval Office, he softened his tone, saying Oman hadn’t “behaved very well” but that the US would “handle them” easily. Trump has made similar threats before, as Oman previously considered setting up a tolling system in the strait with Iran.

Why the 60-day deal collapsed

The US and Iran signed a temporary memorandum of understanding in mid-June to halt fighting and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The agreement was largely disregarded within weeks, with each side accusing the other of violations. Trump said he is not in a hurry to make a deal and refused to extend the ceasefire. Military operations resumed in mid-July when Trump declared the ceasefire over.

Oman’s role in negotiations

Oman, a US strategic ally on the Arabian Peninsula, has been negotiating separately with Iran to manage the Strait of Hormuz under terms of the expired agreement. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said talks with Oman continued but were taking longer because multiple countries were trying to influence the outcome. The parties have suggested an agreement was close for nearly two weeks.

What’s at stake in the strait

The Strait of Hormuz normally handles about 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas trade. Since the US-Iran war began in February, Iran has largely blocked the waterway, depressing vessel movements through key shipping channels. MarineTraffic data shows only three commercial ships passed through in the last 24 hours: two tankers entered the Persian Gulf, while one exited into the Gulf of Oman.

Final Thoughts

With the 60-day ceasefire expired and Trump refusing extension, the Strait of Hormuz remains blocked indefinitely. Oman’s mediation efforts face pressure from both Washington and Tehran, leaving global energy markets vulnerable to further disruption.

FAQs

Why did Trump threaten to bomb Oman?

Trump threatened Oman if it interferes with US efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Oman is negotiating separately with Iran on the same issue, which Trump views as conflicting with American interests.

What was the 60-day agreement between the US and Iran?

A memorandum of understanding signed in mid-June to halt fighting and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Both sides accused each other of violations, and Trump refused to extend it when it expired August 18.

How much oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz normally?

About 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas trade passes through the strait in normal times. It has been largely blocked since February 2026.

Is Oman a US ally?

Yes, Oman is a longtime US strategic ally on the Arabian Peninsula. It has suffered strikes from Iran and is playing a key role in negotiating to reopen the strait.

Disclaimer:

The content shared by Meyka AI PTY LTD is solely for research and informational purposes.  Meyka is not a financial advisory service, and the information provided should not be considered investment or trading advice.

About Author

Author

Huzaifa Zahoor

Co Founder

Huzaifa Zahoor is the engineer who built Meyka. He has spent years writing Python, training AI models, and building data pipelines specifically for financial markets. His technical articles have reached over 30,000 readers on Medium, so he knows how to make complex things easy to follow. If this article touches on how the tools work, he is the person who actually built them.

What brings you to Meyka?

Pick what interests you most and we will get you started.

I'm here to read news

Find more articles like this one

I'm here to research stocks

Ask Meyka Analyst about any stock

I'm here to track my Portfolio

Get daily updates and alerts (coming March 2026)