Key Points
South Korea proposes formal peace talks to end 73-year-old Korean War armistice.
Trump orders Pentagon to cut joint US-South Korea military drills by six days.
China's foreign minister visits Seoul, pledges constructive role but urges US policy change.
President Lee renews push to regain wartime military control from the United States.
South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung has proposed formal talks to officially end the Korean War, which has been technically active since 1953 despite an armistice. On August 15, Lee urged North Korea to abandon mutual threats and begin direct dialogue to establish a peace regime. The move signals a shift in Seoul’s approach as the US reduces military exercises with South Korea under President Trump’s direction.
Lee’s call for multiparty peace talks
President Lee delivered his proposal at a ceremony marking the 81st Liberation Day on August 15 in Seoul. He urged both Koreas to set aside threats and start talks to end the long-running war, describing it as a path to peaceful coexistence. Lee also pledged his administration would work to transform the unstable armistice system into a formal peace regime and discuss effective measures to halt North Korea’s nuclear advancement.
The 1953 armistice that never became a treaty
The Korean War ended with an armistice signed in 1953, not a peace treaty. The two Koreas have remained technically at war for 73 years. Lee proposed a multi-layered security system to avoid flare-ups along the demilitarised zone (DMZ) and offered to discuss practical ways of halting Pyongyang’s nuclear ambitions. North Korea has not yet responded to the offer.
Trump cuts military drills, reshaping the region
On August 19, South Korea’s military confirmed that joint exercises with the US would end six days early. The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on Monday, will conclude on Friday instead of the planned date. Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back the drills, citing cost and describing them as hostile toward North Korea. South Korea’s foreign minister said Seoul had not been informed in advance.
China signals cautious support for peace efforts
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi visited Seoul on August 19 for talks with South Korean officials. Wang pledged Beijing would play a constructive role in promoting peace on the Korean Peninsula but took a cautious stance on mediating US-North Korea dialogue. He called on Washington to change its longstanding hostile policy toward Pyongyang, while noting that US-North Korea talks were a matter for those two nations to decide.
Seoul seeks independent military control from the US
President Lee has renewed his push to regain wartime operational control (Opcon) of South Korean forces from the US. Lee said on Tuesday that Seoul should proceed with the planned transfer of wartime command during his term. He described a strong alliance and independent defence as mutually reinforcing, adding that strengthening South Korea’s own capabilities increases its value as a US ally. Wartime Opcon has rested with the US since the Korean War began, exercised through an American four-star general.
Final Thoughts
Lee’s proposal to formally end the Korean War marks a significant diplomatic shift, though North Korea has not responded. The timing coincides with Trump’s reduction of joint US-South Korea drills, signalling a potential realignment in regional security dynamics that could reshape decades of Cold War tensions.
FAQs
President Lee Jae Myung seeks to transform the 1953 armistice into a formal peace treaty and establish peaceful coexistence with North Korea. He aims to reduce tensions and create a framework for discussing North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.
No. North Korea has not reacted to Lee’s offer as of August 20, 2026. Pyongyang has previously rebuffed Lee’s earlier offers of engagement.
Trump cited the cost of the exercises and described them as hostile toward North Korea. He stated he has a very good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and was not happy with US participation.
Opcon is wartime operational control of South Korean forces. Currently held by the US since 1953, Seoul seeks to regain it as a symbol of national sovereignty and independence from American command.
Disclaimer:
The content shared by Meyka AI PTY LTD is solely for research and informational purposes. Meyka is not a financial advisory service, and the information provided should not be considered investment or trading advice.
About Author

Huzaifa Zahoor
Co FounderHuzaifa Zahoor is the engineer who built Meyka. He has spent years writing Python, training AI models, and building data pipelines specifically for financial markets. His technical articles have reached over 30,000 readers on Medium, so he knows how to make complex things easy to follow. If this article touches on how the tools work, he is the person who actually built them.
What brings you to Meyka?
Pick what interests you most and we will get you started.
I'm here to read news
Find more articles like this one
I'm here to research stocks
Ask Meyka Analyst about any stock
I'm here to track my Portfolio
Get daily updates and alerts (coming March 2026)