Key Points
Hong Kong court convicts two pro-democracy activists of inciting subversion on August 21.
Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung led vigils commemorating 1989 Tiananmen crackdown with over 100,000 participants.
Both face maximum 10-year prison sentences with sentencing delayed to next week.
EU condemns verdict as erosion of freedoms of expression and assembly under national security law.
A Hong Kong court convicted two pro-democracy activists of inciting subversion on August 21, finding them guilty of organizing annual vigils to commemorate China’s 1989 Tiananmen crackdown. Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, led the now-defunct Hong Kong Alliance and face up to 10 years in prison. The verdict signals the continued erosion of civil liberties under Beijing’s 2020 national security law.
What the court ruled
Three judges found that Lee and Chow’s calls to ‘end one-party dictatorship’ constituted incitement to overthrow China’s Communist Party leadership. The court interpreted ‘end’ as ‘overthrowing’ and ‘undermining’ the constitutional system. Judges ruled the defendants persisted in this messaging after the national security law took effect in 2020, knowing their conduct breached the constitution. Lee has been remanded in custody for nearly five years. A third defendant, Albert Ho, pleaded guilty in January.
The Hong Kong Alliance and Tiananmen vigils
The Hong Kong Alliance organized annual candlelit vigils in Victoria Park to remember those killed on June 4, 1989, when Chinese troops crushed pro-democracy protests in Beijing. The vigils once drew over 100,000 participants. No such commemoration has been held in Hong Kong since the national security law was imposed in 2020. The Alliance was also found guilty of inciting subversion.
International condemnation and rule of law concerns
The European Union issued a statement condemning the verdict, saying it confirms the ‘continuing deterioration of freedoms of expression and assembly’ in Hong Kong. The EU noted that prolonged pre-trial detention, denial of bail, and solitary confinement of the defendants undermines confidence in the rule of law. Hong Kong Chief Executive John Lee said the defendants must be punished, stating their behavior endangered national security.
What happens next
Sentencing is expected next week when the court hears mitigation pleas from the defense. Both defendants face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. Lee and Chow smiled and waved at supporters in the public gallery as they left the courtroom. The verdict is among the latest involving Hong Kong’s dismantled pro-democracy movement since the 2020 security law took effect.
Final Thoughts
The conviction marks another milestone in Hong Kong’s shift away from open civil society. For international investors and business leaders, the verdict reinforces the narrowing space for independent activism and free expression under the national security framework.
FAQs
Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, were leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance, which organized annual vigils to commemorate the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown. Both were convicted on August 21.
Both face a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. Sentencing is expected next week after the court hears mitigation pleas.
Hong Kong banned public Tiananmen commemorations after Beijing imposed a national security law in 2020. No vigils have been held since then.
The court ruled that calls to ‘end one-party dictatorship’ meant overthrowing the Communist Party’s constitutional leadership. Judges said defendants intended to make supporters lose confidence in the Party.
Disclaimer:
The content shared by Meyka AI PTY LTD is solely for research and informational purposes. Meyka is not a financial advisory service, and the information provided should not be considered investment or trading advice.
About Author

Danny Kontos
Co FounderDanny Kontos has been a stock investor since 2007 and co-founded Meyka in 2023. He keeps a small, focused portfolio and only moves when the numbers are hard to argue with. He has waited years on a single position before. Before Meyka, he ran a web hosting company and a mortgage lending platform, so he knows what a well-run business actually looks like under the hood. This article did not come from a news cycle. It came from someone who has been watching this space for a long time.
What brings you to Meyka?
Pick what interests you most and we will get you started.
I'm here to read news
Find more articles like this one
I'm here to research stocks
Ask Meyka Analyst about any stock
I'm here to track my Portfolio
Get daily updates and alerts (coming March 2026)