BBC Seeks Trump Family Subpoenas in $10B Defamation Case; Judge Swap Raises Questions
Key Points
BBC seeks subpoenas for Trump Jr., Ivanka, and Kushner in $10 billion defamation case.
Trump claims BBC defamed him by editing his January 6 speech to falsely imply he incited violence.
Secret Service protection has prevented BBC from serving subpoenas to family members.
Trump-nominated Judge Jeffrey Kuntz took over case on August 18, trial set for February 2027.
The BBC filed a court motion Friday to subpoena three Trump family members for documents and testimony in the president’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit. The broadcaster seeks to compel Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner to answer questions about Trump’s January 6, 2021 speech before Capitol riots. The same day, a Trump-nominated federal judge took control of the case, intensifying debate over judicial impartiality.
Why the BBC wants Trump family testimony
The BBC’s legal team argues that Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Kushner have direct knowledge of how Trump crafted and delivered his January 6 speech. Court filings cite evidence that Trump Jr. and Ivanka were present in the Oval Office while their father revised the speech, and that Kushner drafted a proposed statement condemning violence. The BBC contends this testimony is essential to defend against Trump’s claim that the network defamed him by editing two separate sections of the speech together to imply he incited violence.
Obstacles to serving the subpoenas
The BBC has been unable to serve subpoenas to the three family members because they have Secret Service protection. When BBC representatives attempted to deliver subpoenas to Ivanka Trump and Kushner at their Florida home, they were refused entry at a police checkpoint and told by the Secret Service that the agency could not accept the documents. The BBC now asks the court to allow service by email and certified mail instead.
Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit and the Panorama edit
Trump filed the lawsuit in December 2025, accusing the BBC of defamation, deceptive practices, and unfair trade practices. The suit centers on a 2024 Panorama documentary that edited together two different sections of a speech Trump gave on January 6, 2021, before protesters attacked the Capitol. Trump’s legal team claims the BBC “intentionally and maliciously” spliced the clips to misrepresent his meaning and interfere with the 2024 election. The BBC has apologized for the misleading edit but argues it did not meet the legal standard for defamation and that Florida courts lack jurisdiction over the British broadcaster.
New judge appointed as Trump-nominated jurist takes over
On August 18, U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Kuntz assumed control of the case, replacing Judge Roy Altman. Kuntz was nominated by Trump in April 2026 and confirmed by the Republican-led Senate in July by a 51-46 vote. He was previously an appeals court judge in Florida. Trump praised Kuntz on Truth Social in April, saying he had been “TOUGH and SMART and delivered strong results for the Sunshine State.” The judge swap comes as Trump’s legal team accused the BBC of “seeking to harass” the president and his family by “abusing the deposition process.” Trial is scheduled for February 2027, and Trump has requested a jury trial.
Final Thoughts
The BBC’s subpoena request and Kuntz’s appointment on the same day highlight the high stakes and procedural complexity of the case. With a Trump-nominated judge now presiding and family testimony central to the defense, the path to trial in February 2027 remains contested.
FAQs
Trump claims the BBC defamed him by editing two separate sections of his January 6 speech together to falsely imply he incited Capitol violence. The BBC apologized for the edit but says it did not meet legal defamation standards.
The BBC seeks testimony and documents from Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner. The network argues they have personal knowledge of how Trump prepared and delivered the speech.
Trump family members have Secret Service protection. When BBC representatives tried to deliver subpoenas at their Florida home, they were refused entry at a police checkpoint and told the Secret Service could not accept the documents.
The trial is set for February 2027. Trump has requested a jury trial, and the case is now overseen by Trump-nominated Judge Jeffrey Kuntz.
Disclaimer:
The content shared by Meyka AI PTY LTD is solely for research and informational purposes. Meyka is not a financial advisory service, and the information provided should not be considered investment or trading advice.
About Author

Danny Kontos
Co FounderDanny Kontos has been a stock investor since 2007 and co-founded Meyka in 2023. He keeps a small, focused portfolio and only moves when the numbers are hard to argue with. He has waited years on a single position before. Before Meyka, he ran a web hosting company and a mortgage lending platform, so he knows what a well-run business actually looks like under the hood. This article did not come from a news cycle. It came from someone who has been watching this space for a long time.
What brings you to Meyka?
Pick what interests you most and we will get you started.
I'm here to read news
Find more articles like this one
I'm here to research stocks
Ask Meyka Analyst about any stock
I'm here to track my Portfolio
Get daily updates and alerts (coming March 2026)